A/B Tests Identify Improvements Resulting in up to 36x Increase in Social Sharing on AMD.com pages
Imagine browsing AMD.com when you stumble upon the latest and greatest in AMD news. You find this to be so interesting that you want to “ShareThis” with your friends. You’re not alone. Thousands of others want to share content from AMD.com as well.
AMD.com makes it easy to share content to other sites, via a ShareThis icon/link embedded into the pages of the site. However, after looking at site metrics and how information was being shared to different sites, the AMD Online Marketing team began to question if the appearance of the ShareThis icon/link and existing placement (icons located in the footer of pages) was optimal for users.
To better understand how users interact with these icons and the best possible combination of position and appearance of the icons, AMD decided to use A/B testing. In all, the AMD Online Marketing team created and tested six variations, with different icons and placement, including the control version.
These combinations tested various positions (left, right, bottom) and appearances (icon/link, large chicklets, small chicklets) on one of the more prominently visited and shared sections of the website, Support & Drivers (http://support.amd.com).
The testing was implemented and controlled by Visual Website Optimizer (VWO). All six variations were deployed on the entire support.amd.com subdomain and ran for five days. The test was served to visitors for the first two days, then increased to 35% for the next two days, and then increased to 100% on the last day. The last day also coincided with the launch of ‘a new software driver which typically generates more traffic.
Once a visitor saw a particular variation, they continued to see the same variation to ensure a consistent user experience. The findings proved to be statistically significant, demonstrating up to a 36x increase in social sharing on the tested site as compared to the original site configuration.
Based on this testing, the AMD Online Marketing team has recommended using the left-position chicklet version with dynamic adjustment based on browser window size.
The final result of the testing was in-line with expectations, but the wide range of results from variation testing was unexpected, providing strong support for not only modifying AMD Online Marketing’s ShareThis implementation, but for the continued use of future A/B testing.
Visual Website Optimizer has proven to be a great asset to the AMD Online Marketing team by providing a scalable and user-friendly solution that helps to clearly demonstrate user interaction and behavior. The ability to run optimization tests on a regular basis with minimal effort is critical to AMD’s global online presence and in providing an optimal user experience for AMD.com visitors.
- ShareThis icon/link was located in the footer of all AMD.com pages
- Need for ShareThis icon/link to be more visible and widely used for increased social media sharing
Tested multiple variations of posting the ShareThis icon/link, including position (left, right, bottom), and appearance (icon/link, large chicklets, small chicklets)
- The bottom chicklet and link variations proved to be less productive
- The variations did NOT impact the overall engagement on the pages (average engagement conversion was over 23%)
- Tested site showed up to 36x increased social sharing as compared to the original site configuration
Stay up to date
- RT @unbounce: A/B Testing Between Free and Paid Signups: Sometimes Free is Better: http://t.co/MtiATLWOeQ by @wingify #
- Interesting results from our new case study - "A/B Testing Between Free and Paid Signups: Sometimes Free is Better" http://t.co/gmd9jyBFwA #
- @JuliaFok Our $129/mo package that gives 30,000 visitors to test seems like a good fit for you. #
- New post on our blog: Extend Your Conversion Funnel Beyond the "Thank-You" Page http://t.co/rEEtlVrxv9 #
- RT @SantiagoEcomm: @Wingify's #SplitTesting blog is great resource to follow for knowledge & case studies on #ConversionRateOptimisation ht… #
Write for this blog!
We accept high quality articles related to A/B testing and online marketing. Send your proposals to email@example.com