Posted in News on May 4th, 2010
Most of the times you create and run A/B tests on all your website visitors. But there may be cases when you would like to test your ideas only for a particular segment for visitors. For example, you may want to test if a stripped down layout of website works better for returning visitors. Or you may want to test if a Twitter-specific banner gets more clicks from visitors arriving from Twitter.
New feature: Segmentation
We are proud to announce that we have launched Segmentation feature in Visual Website Optimizer. Using this feature you can choose to run the test only for the visitors who qualify your segmentation conditions. Have a look at the following screenshot:
You can choose and combine any of the following conditions available for segmentation:
- Current URL
- Referring URL
- Visitor Type: New or Returning
- Search Keywords
- Cookie Value
- Referral Type: Direct, Organic or Referrer
- Query parameter in URL (e.g. campaign_id, page_id, etc.)
Through the seven conditions above, we have covered most of the segmentation scenarios. Is there any other condition that you think could be useful for segmentation?
Behavioral Targeting and Personalization Possibilities
This is the most interesting part of segmentation. Thanks to flexibility of running multiple tests on the same page, you can personalize landing pages according to visitor segment. For example, if you have a generic landing page for all your marketing campaigns, using segmentation you can show campaign specific headlines and images to different types of visitors. In other words, thanks to segmentation feature, you can target your visitors with segment specific landing page and test it against control if it really drives up conversions. (You can also do neat stuff like inserting search keywords into variation or personalizing page according to city or country. See Advanced code mode for details).
We are *VERY* excited about segmentation feature as it allows power users to run targeted tests and personalize experience for visitors using a super-easy WYSIWYG editor. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please leave a comment below.
Do you like the segmentation feature? Would you actually see a use-case for it on your site?
Stay up to date
- RT @unbounce: A/B Testing Between Free and Paid Signups: Sometimes Free is Better: http://t.co/MtiATLWOeQ by @wingify #
- Interesting results from our new case study - "A/B Testing Between Free and Paid Signups: Sometimes Free is Better" http://t.co/gmd9jyBFwA #
- @JuliaFok Our $129/mo package that gives 30,000 visitors to test seems like a good fit for you. #
- New post on our blog: Extend Your Conversion Funnel Beyond the "Thank-You" Page http://t.co/rEEtlVrxv9 #
- RT @SantiagoEcomm: @Wingify's #SplitTesting blog is great resource to follow for knowledge & case studies on #ConversionRateOptimisation ht… #
Write for this blog!
We accept high quality articles related to A/B testing and online marketing. Send your proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org